Choose a room for your home office project. Clear out all furniture and take down any hanging items. Any easy way to add visual interest to blank walls is board & batten—all you need is some 1x4 boards, a miter saw, nail gun (or hammer), nails, a level, and a tape measure.
Start by measuring the height and length of the walls and determine if you want to add board & batten to the full height of the wall or only partially up the wall. Once you have your measurements, you can get started:
- Measure and cut your wood to fit the dimensions of your room.
- Determine how far apart you want each of your battens and mark where each batten needs to be placed.
- Attach the highest horizontal board to the wall using a nail gun or hammer. Use your level to make sure everything is lined up all the way around the room.
- Add the battens, evenly spaced. For corners, cut each batten in half vertically, so they split the corner on either side.
- Use wood putty to fill in nail holes as needed.
Bring it all together with a fresh coat of paint, and voila! Your walls now have added texture and depth.